- Read More
R: It is a great feeling! A memory forever in our minds and a collective pride of having accomplished something great for us, OVAL BEACH MARSEILLE, for rugby in Provence. And status to assume a level to maintain.
2. Its a great honour to have you atending to Figueira Beach Rugby. What´s your level of expectation regarding the event?
R: We are very pleased to participate in this year’s edition of Figueira Beach Rugby which we have not been able to honor last year. Apparently this is one of the best European tournaments. We come to Portugal to be included well, we know that the level tournaments EBRA circuit is always high and each year a little better. So we prepare for heavy fighting in the hope that the sun will accompany us during the tournament then we will celebrate, regardless of our ranking, with all the participants this event as it should.
3. I watched you playing in the last 3 years and you always look the youngest on field. What´s your secret?
R: Thanks! Beach Rugby is a very demanding sport . Sand and heat make it even more intense. There is no secret I prepare throughout the year for these maturities. But my secret if I have one, is the state of mind, keep a 39 year old wonder of a junior. Rugby is a fun opportunity to create unforgettable moments of life and strong friendships, I remain concentrated above and I try to forget that the legs are heavy … As I often say, if the head wants body can!
4. What´s your opnion about 2014 EBRA Circuit?
R: The level is very high and growing. There is still a gap between the teams that play the top ranking and others, but the gap is narrowing each year. Some teams are given the means to be very competitive as Magnets Belgians, the Dutch team, the Italians and of course your representative Portuguese who practice a very nice looking game. We know the opponents we face for several years now and we know that it is difficult to say who will win the 2014 EBRA circuit.
5. Can we expect a strong Ovale Beach Rugby Team fighting for the title in 2014?
R: We will be present again this year! Furthermore we are the EBRA champions . This year we will incorporate new players on whom we rely much to allow us to be competitive.
Luxembourg will be represented by two teams, men and women, from the Walferdange Rugby Club. Beach Rugby 5s is getting more and more Global!
1. Sander, tell us how and when the Ghent Magnets started?
R: It was back in 2008 when me and some players of Ghent Rugby U17 and U19 started a team for the Flanders Beach Tournament (back than in Wenduine). We actually prooved to be realy good and we became 7th, competing in the regular men’s competion. From than on it was a fixed tournament for us every year and we became better and better.
2. Ghent Magnets are probably the most committed and organized Beach Rugby team, with you being one of the most enthusiastic player and manager. What can we expect from the team for 2014?
R: Haha thank you, I’m studying sportmanagement this year to even get better in it. The team of 2014 contains 26 players and we chose diffirent squads for each tournament. There are some new players and some guys who were injured last year than will rejoin us. So basicly we will have a very good squad (on paper). Of those new guys two of them played against your XV team in the six nations B.
3. This year will be your third time in Figueira. How would you describe the event?
R: What I like about the event is the total package, it’s makes the job as EBRA teammanager so much easyer not having to book transport and hotels. The tournament itself is very well organized and it’s a lot of fun, on, and next to the pitch.
4. Every year your team looks more strong and committed. What have been pushing you away from the finals in Figueira?
R: At first it’s the rules that were diffirent from the EBRA rules every year. We never realy adapted to them, but this year will be diffirent right? And second it’s the unexpected high level from the local Portugese teams. We’ve underestamated them plenty of times!
5. What your thougts about the work EBRA has been doing, and your opinion about the future Beach Rugby in Europe.
R: I’ve been there from the start and I saw the proces that the beach rugby went trough. In such a short time the EBRA guys have done a lot of great work. I hope one day beach rugby can have the same impact as the HSBC World Sevens Series.
Thanks for your time and support .
- Read More
Figueira Beach Rugby International was designed to be more than just a tournament.
The goal was to create a Summer Sport Event which combines sport competetitiveness, fun and beach.
The event´s sustainability would rely in the ability to add value not just for the organizers but also for the community where the event is based. The vision was to make the inhabitants proud of hosting the event and at the same time to generate revenue to the community.
So being Figueira da Foz a summer spot, the focus was on promoting the event and its location abroad to raise international teams awareness. The concern was not just on promoting the sport´s side of the event but also what the place has to offer.
Four years later Figueira Beach Rugby became one of the most recognized and acclaimed Beach Rugby events in Europe and represents a value of 200 000 €, numbers based on the media and analysis reported by a multinational media company (Cision) and the direct money spent by all the event´s stakeholders.
The tournament not only helped to promote tourism but also Figueira as a destination for sports teams stages taking advantage of other existing infrastructures. Proof is the fact that the German Rugby 7s National Team has choosen Figueira as their local of preparation for the 2014 European Grand Prix. Figueira Beach Rugyb Tournament is undoubtedly a key player on Figueira´s local economy.
It is a great pleasure to announce the presence of the European Champions in Figueira. Ovale Beach Rugby team is one of the most emblematic European Beach Rugby Teams, visiting Figueira in 2014 looking forward to fight for the title.
Despite the latest news confirming Maccarese at the Figueira Beach Rugby International 2014, we sadly announce that the team has been shut down. Maccarese Beach Rugby is the oldest Becah Rugy team in activity and they were looking forward to fight not only for the Portuguese Tournament Title but also for the European Title. However due to some player´s personal issues they have decided to stop. Leaded by Silvio and Guido Salera Maccarese have been always big friends of Figueira Tournament, awarding the public with outstanding performances both on and off the sand. We hope to see Maccarese back again soon.
1. Francisco the Caparica Sharks were born in 2011 specifically to compete in Beach Rugby Tournaments. How did that happen?
R: In 2011 some of team players have had contact with Beach Rugby playing for other teams. We all felt Beach Rugby as a great excuse to gather a group of friends, going to the beach have fun and play our loved sport at the same time. With the opportunity to attend the Figueira Beach Rugby International we decided to start the Caparica Sharks.
2. After 3 consecutive participations at the Figueira Beach Rugby International, what´s your opinion about the event?
R: It´s a great event which promotes not just Beach Rugby but Rugby in general. There is a great atmosphere amongst the teams and great competitive level also. We have been present since 2011 and we can say the event is growing year after year. The rules have been adapted to make the game faster and more dynamic.
3. The Caparica Sharks were the only Portuguese team participating at the Lignano Tournament so far. How was that experience?
R: We were really excited when the Figueira Beach Rugby organizers and DoctorSport told us about the possibility to participate at the Lignano Tournament. We had no clue about what to expect. The only thing we knew was that we were the youngest team participating. The first day was a bit of a struggle but after we adapt ourselves to the game pace and tactics we managed to score pretty good overall participation, finishing 4th. Was a great honour to represent Portugal amongst 12 teams from strong rugby nations such as England, Samoa, France, Italy…..
4. After your participation in Lignano 2012 everyone was expecting to see Caparica Sharks competing for the European Circuit, but that did not happen. Why?
R. The main reason is the lack of support to face the expenses we have travelling around Europe. We have some commited sponsors but are not enough…
5. We know that Caparica Sharks are already preparing the 2014 season. What the goals for 2014 and what can we expect from the team?
R: In 2014 we want to make 2 appearences in the EBRA Circuit legs, Figueira and one more european tournament and reach the semi finals in both. We hope to attend all the legs of the Portuguese Beach Rugby Circuit and fight for the National title.
Thanks for your support.
1. Carmen, Las Gazellas have participated at the Figueira Beach Rugby International twice. What your thoughts about the event?
R: Two words: GOOD ATMOSPHERE!
2. What do you think about the womens competition level in Figueira?
R: The first time we participated, we were surprised, same for last year. In Belgium we don’t have many tough opponents. So it’s great to compete better teams in Figueira. It’s a good motivation to get higher and higher on the ranking every year.
3. Last year you did a really good tournament almost reaching the finals. Can we expect a strong Las Gazellas team fighting for the title in 2014?
R: Every year we try to get better. Last year we lost the 3rd/4th place-final. This year we want to go for the finals. We changed the team a bit, so hopefully the team is ready for Figueira 2014.
4. The European Beach Rugby Association is really commited to make real a women circuito of Beach Rugby. Are the Gazellas ready to make it?
R: Sure we are! I think it’s a very good idea. We would like to be part of the European Beachrugby circuit. More challenges, better opponents and more regard for women rugby.
5. Will we see you with The Gazellas Team in Figueira Beach Rugby Tournament 2014?
R: Well, our flight tickets are already booked two months ago, so yes, you can expect the ‘Gazellas team’ again (and on fire ;))!
Thanks for your time and support.