It is a great pleasure to announce the presence of the European Champions in Figueira. Ovale Beach Rugby team is one of the most emblematic European Beach Rugby Teams, visiting Figueira in 2014 looking forward to fight for the title.
1. Francisco the Caparica Sharks were born in 2011 specifically to compete in Beach Rugby Tournaments. How did that happen?
R: In 2011 some of team players have had contact with Beach Rugby playing for other teams. We all felt Beach Rugby as a great excuse to gather a group of friends, going to the beach have fun and play our loved sport at the same time. With the opportunity to attend the Figueira Beach Rugby International we decided to start the Caparica Sharks.
2. After 3 consecutive participations at the Figueira Beach Rugby International, what´s your opinion about the event?
R: It´s a great event which promotes not just Beach Rugby but Rugby in general. There is a great atmosphere amongst the teams and great competitive level also. We have been present since 2011 and we can say the event is growing year after year. The rules have been adapted to make the game faster and more dynamic.
3. The Caparica Sharks were the only Portuguese team participating at the Lignano Tournament so far. How was that experience?
R: We were really excited when the Figueira Beach Rugby organizers and DoctorSport told us about the possibility to participate at the Lignano Tournament. We had no clue about what to expect. The only thing we knew was that we were the youngest team participating. The first day was a bit of a struggle but after we adapt ourselves to the game pace and tactics we managed to score pretty good overall participation, finishing 4th. Was a great honour to represent Portugal amongst 12 teams from strong rugby nations such as England, Samoa, France, Italy…..
4. After your participation in Lignano 2012 everyone was expecting to see Caparica Sharks competing for the European Circuit, but that did not happen. Why?
R. The main reason is the lack of support to face the expenses we have travelling around Europe. We have some commited sponsors but are not enough…
5. We know that Caparica Sharks are already preparing the 2014 season. What the goals for 2014 and what can we expect from the team?
R: In 2014 we want to make 2 appearences in the EBRA Circuit legs, Figueira and one more european tournament and reach the semi finals in both. We hope to attend all the legs of the Portuguese Beach Rugby Circuit and fight for the National title.
Thanks for your support.
1. Sílvio,being Maccarese is one of the oldest and most important European Beach Rugby teams, how do you perceive the Figueira Beach Rugby event?
R: Figueira is actually the best tournament in Europe. We have partecipated to all and in Figueira we can find 9/10 very good teams. In other tournaments we can fin 4/5 excellent teams and the others are very modest teams. Figueira is a very sporting tournament in wich the play is the focus. Perfect organization, third time and the arrangement.
2. When did Maccerese start and what was the greatest achievement so far?
R: In 2000, after the victory in first italian championship, my son Guido with Sinisi and Bocconcelli decided to do a team with friend playing beach rugby to spend summer time togheter. The idea hasn’t changed in time and also now the Maccarese team is a group of friende without a official team behind.
3. Finally Maccarese reached the final in Figueira 2013 how special was that moment?
R: Till two minuts at end we are sure to win. We have lost the head and we have granted two tries to Direito. But we are sure to have showed we are worth playing the final. It’ll be next year!!!!
4. Is the European Beach Rugby Champion title an objective for 2014? Are Maccarese ready to fight for it?
R:To win European Chanpinship it’s necessary to participate in three tournments. It requires a lot of money. In 2013 three teams have participated: Marseille, Ghent and Maccarese. Ghent has participate Zeerbrugge, very close to Ghent ( no fly no hotel), Marseille has participated Marseille ( no fly no hotel). We come from far and we have to spend money for fly, hotel, restaurants and so on. The Italian tournament Lignano is on invitation base. We try to find money but, in this period, is very hard.
5. Will we see you with Maccarese Team in Figueira Beach Rugby Tournament 2014?
R: You may be sure. We’ve to win, also if very hard.